Imagine this, you’ve just finished putting in some extra hours at work, you’re tired, you’re grumpy and you need some sustenance. What are you going to do? There’s a Taco Bell and a KFC on the way home, maybe cheating just this once will be alright? You don’t want to waste cheating on that crap do you?
Lucky for all of you, not all primal cooking has to be as labour (note: that’s Canadian for labor) intensive as my last post. I’ve compiled a couple of delicious “fast foods” that you can make yourself in 30 minutes or less. That’s right, rather than living with the consequences of Taco Bell or KFC to immediately satiate your appetite, wait an extra 30 minutes and you can have yourself a primal meal that will satisfy even the most intense fast food cravings. Eat your hearts out Taco Bell & KFC.
Primal Tacos (a.k.a. My answer to Combo #1)
Who doesn’t love tacos? I mean really, they are delicious and they seem to hit the spot on almost any day. I hope you are sitting down right now because I’m about to turn the taco inside out!
What you need:
- 1 head of Romain lettuce – cleaned and separated
- 1 lb ground beef (chicken or sliced steak works just as well)
- 1 small onion – minced
- Taco seasoning (Credit: here)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tomato – diced
- 2 small cucumbers – julienned
- 1 red pepper – diced
- salsa & old cheddar cheese to taste (completely optional. I go no cheese)
1. Brown the ground beef & onion and drain.
2. Add the seasoning and 1 cup of warm water
3. Simmer 5 minutes or until thick
4. Spread beef mixture onto a single lettuce leaf
5. Add tomato, cucumber, peppers, salsa, cheese, and any other veggies you like (try using mango, a splash of lime juice and chipotle peppers instead of the veggies)
6. NEVER EAT AT TACO BELL AGAIN
Primal Burgers (a.k.a. The real Double Down)
As much as I love tacos, I will admit that I was more than ready to give them up when I went primal. The same cannot be said for burgers. When I first started out on the primal lifestyle I wanted nothing more than a gigantic burger complete with bacon and cheese. It was only a couple months ago that I decided to make my own burgers and forever put those cravings to rest. I promise that you won’t even miss the cheese!
What you need:
- Bacon – 4 Strips
- Sausage – 1 Pound – Casing removed
- Ground beef- 1 Pound
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Small red Onion Finely Chopped
- Oregano – 1 Tbsp
- Basil – 1 Tbsp
- Garlic – 3 Cloves Finely Chopped
- Ground Cayenne Pepper – 1/2 – 1 Tsp
- Nutmeg – 1 Tbsp
- Ground Black Pepper 1 Tsp
1. Cook your bacon your favorite way. I like the oven at 350F for about 20 mins.
2. While the bacon is cooking, mix together all of the other ingredients until well combined
3. Flatten your meat mixture into 6-8 patties
4. Toss the patties onto a barbecue and cook until done, flipping occasionally
5. Lay a patty down, top with bacon and whatever fixin’s you like (I’m a little bit weird and I love ketchup and pickles on my burgers)
6. Toss the other patty on top
7. DON’T EVER EAT A KFC DOUBLE DOWN AGAIN
Now that I’ve made 2 global fast food conglomerates cry, dig in! These recipes are primal and are a heck of a lot better for you than anything you can get from those two. Please feel free to experiment with my recipes and let me know what you come up with! I love adding new things to my simple recipes so that I don’t ever get sick of eating anything. That’s the beautiful thing about making your own food, if you don’t like something, tweak it until you do!
I promise to have some more simple recipes for everyone soon. Leave a comment on what course you’d like to see next!