I don’t avoid grains, dairy and legumes 100% of the time. I used to eat grains, dairy and legumes daily. Cereal with milk for breakfast? Check. Sandwich, usually Peanut Butter and Jelly, for lunch? Check. Pasta, pizza, meat imitators with LOTS of gluten? Check.
Prior to avoiding these food groups I probably did not go a single day in my life without eating at least something from one of them. I find that amazing. I literally do not seek out any food from these groups outside of butter and whey protein powder. The former is awesome and a health food while the latter is, well, not the best. It’s great for smoothies.
I used to drink 3-6 glasses or more of milk a day. I would eat ice cream frequently too. It was NOT your raw milk from grass-fed cows, which is one of the greatest foods on earth if you can handle dairy. It was pasteurized 1/2% milk. In other words, junk. It gave me acne. I know this because when I ditched dairy my skin improved dramatically. And there are countless studies that show dairy is linked to acne. Most dermatologists will want you to believe otherwise… surprise!
This is cool, in my humble opinion, but why do I avoid these foods today?
Many reasons. I’m going to tell you the most important reasons that are on my mind right now. This list is not all inclusive, but as I think of more reasons I will write another post. I would love it if you left a comment below with your reasons for avoiding these foods too!
If you tell me that you don’t eat them because they are not paleo then I may trash your comment. I’m serious.
- Have gluten. Gluten almost destroyed my gut.
- Gave me IBS. Gluten did not. Grains did.
- Have loads of anti-nutrients. These things rob vitamins and minerals from my body. Not cool.
- Take a lot of time to prepare in order for them to be an adequate food.
- Are bland. Have you ever eaten plain wheat? It’s disgusting.
- Are not sustainable.
- Take up valuable land that could be used for grass fed beef.
- Are not nutrient dense, while meat and vegetables are.
- Are not cheap. Shredded coconut is.
- Are high in carbs. This has nothing to do with why I don’t eat grains!
- Makes me breakout when consumed.
- Has casein protein. I am casein intolerant.
- Has the sugar lactose. I am lactose intolerant (you probably are too).
- Can cause insulin resistance. This leads to diabetes which leads to an early death. No thanks.
- Leads to sinus infections, congested nose (it does!!)
- Make me fart.
- Have loads of anti-nutrients. These things rob vitamins and minerals from my body. Again, not cool.
- Take too much time to prepare.
- Soy is one of the world’s most misinterpreted foods and plays a huge role in breast cancer!
Grains disgust me today. I never loved them. I loved the food that I enjoyed with them. Pasta? It was all about the sauce, meat and veggies. Pizza? It was all about the sauce, cheese and toppings. Bread? It was all about the peanut butter and jelly or turkey and avocado. Cereal? It was all about… um… feeling like shit?
I eat butter. I love cheese but breakout. I love ice cream but will never go out of my way to enjoy it and so I eat it no more than once per month. I was never a big fan of beans but I do eat sugar snap peas, green beans and peas.
What about you? If you avoid these food groups, why? If you eat still eat them, why? Do you have any idea? If you don’t, then consider thinking thrice about your decision to eat them or avoid them.